2023 is looking like a big year for Weston Town Council. Here we list some of the highlights and challenges coming in the New Year.
- Castle Batch SEN Play Area plans are moving ahead with work due to commence in 2023. We are still yet to reach our final funding target to make this all-inclusive play area a flagship park that would be an example for places across the UK, however, we have done enough to be sure that the plans will go ahead.
- We are supporting the installation of a new tree nursery at the Maltlands and working towards our vision of planting 10,000 trees by the end of the year (some are already planted)
- We are moving offices and will be moving to our new home in the former Mercury Building, hopefully by the middle of the year.
- We are working with the local food bank and food club to help support them at this increased time of pressure with food poverty. We also have been given a grant of £6,000 for the community fridge to develop it as a climate hub. This will help it keep the doors open longer as well as giving more opportunities for climate change solutions.
- We are continuing to work with North Somerset Council to take over and improve the Town Quarry and hope to have more news on that shortly.
- We have been into opportunities for the Silica and hope to turn it into a digital hub. More news to follow on this.
- We are looking at making improvements to the Water Park splash system and the Christmas lights.
- In May there will be full district and town council elections and we will have some returning and likely some new council members joining us at the Town Council.
May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family and loved ones a happy and healthy New Year.
Malcolm Nicholson LLB DMS CiLCA PSLCC