The Town Council Strategy – To learn how we operate, our mission and our values please download the Update strategy approved July 2023 -. This is a living document and will be updated by the decisions of the council for the ever-changing needs of the town.
Here is a summary of the key points from the Town Council Strategy 2020-2030 PDF:
The document lays out Weston-super-Mare Town Council’s strategic aims and ambitions from 2020 to 2030. It is organised around 5 “pillars” or themes:
1. Weston View – Improving the image, identity and pride in the town to make it attractive for visitors and businesses. Strategies include better promoting the town, supporting local businesses, providing events and activities, and addressing issues like homelessness and crime.
2. Cleaner and Greener – Improving the environment and sustainability of the town. Strategies include reducing waste, increasing biodiversity, planting more trees, reducing energy use, and maintaining green spaces. The goal is for the Town Council to be carbon neutral by 2030.
3. Healthier and Happier – Promoting health, well-being and inclusivity for residents. Strategies include supporting youth services, voluntary groups, events that bring the community together, and improving accessibility.
4. A Bright Future – Supporting the local economy and tourism. Strategies include working with local businesses, reviewing Town Council services to ensure they are efficient and effective, and maximising tourism.
5. Heritage, Arts and Culture – Developing opportunities for arts, culture and heritage in the town. Strategies include facilities like the Blakehay Theatre and Weston Museum, promoting historical sites, and supporting events like GLOW and the literary festival. There is also a focus on maintaining civic traditions.
The document lays out specific actions, timescales, and measures of success under each pillar. It will be reviewed annually and updated as needed – Update strategy approved July 2023