Cemeteries

Weston-super-Mare Town Council maintains 1 cemetery in the Town.

Milton Road Cemetery Chapel

The charming neo-14th century Gothic Chapels and Upper Gate Lodge were built in pink Carboniferous limestone quarried on site, with buff Bath stone for mouldings. Originally there were two adjoining chapels for Church of England and non-Conformist services, though the latter was demolished in 1980. The tower surmounted by an octagonal spire houses the chapel bell and was deliberately aligned in front of the top entrance gate.

The Lower Gate Lodge and entrance in Milton Road were part of the Ashcombe House estate becoming cemetery property only when burial facilities were extended downhill in the 1930s.

With help of the Heritage Lottery Fund, the restoration of the Chapel’s Bell Tower and the re-hanging of the Bell were completed in November 2010. The Chapel now houses small exhibitions which have been organised by the Friends of Milton Road Cemetery and provided by Worle Community School as part of their enrichment week.

Milton Road Cemetery Wide

Download this booklet on Victorian Symbolism in Weston super Mare Town Cemetery

Milton Road Cemetery History

With the increasing number of residents, 4033 in the 1851 census, doubling to over 8000 by 1862, the old burial ground at St John’s Church had been filled and a new site was required. The Town Commissioners chose the new site on the southern side of Bristol Road (this was then the outskirts of Weston) and the project was put out to tender. The design was won by Charles E Davis, who designed the cemetery to included two mortuary Chapels, one Church of England the other non-conformist, and an arboretum. The Diocese of Bath and Wells, on seeing the plans, insisted on the two separate chapels with at least a 6″ gap and the bell tower to be central to the gate and path as most cemeteries of the time were arranged. Designed in 1856 by Mr Charles Davies, the Cemetery was designed as a Victorian Garden Cemetery, with a vast array of native and exotic trees and pathways to lead you round grounds to enjoy the spectacular views the Cemetery has to offer. At the time of construction, the Cemetery was built on the outskirts of the town, on a site which was previously used as a Bronze Age burial site.

Both chapels were built in the English gothic style from 1300-1350, with the stone quarried from site. The limestone used is known as pink limestone, or Bed 21. The stone running along the bases of the chapel and around the edges is the harder and more durable Bath Stone. There is a vein of Pink Limestone which runs from Milton under the cemetery and crops out at Anchor Head Cove. The stone became this colour during the carboniferous period, a time of low sea level and mountain building, through the iron components which oxidised and turned the mud red.

Milton Road Cemetery Fees

Please click here to download our information brochure.

We acknowledge the importance of a memorial as a means of commemorating the life of a loved one, acting as a focus for grief initially and, in years to come, as an historical record. Due to this, we adhere to a strict code of regulations (click here to download the PDF, 258Kb).

For more information contact Tricia Mackrell tricia.mackrell@wsm-tc.gov.uk 01934 632575

The cemetery will be closed during the time of a funeral service and will reopen once the service has completed. 

Due to Covid-19 we are stipulating that numbers need to be limited for funeral services in our cemetery. If you are arranging a funeral our staff will discuss with you at the time of booking.