Weston town council has held a consultation day at Castle Batch Park in Worle to understand the need for a SEN play area. Castle Batch has been at the top of our play area refurbishment programme. As we looked at the area it became obvious due to its parking situation it would be a fantastic place for a SEN Park. The next step was to engage with the local community to understand the need. We have been blown away not only by the response but by the passion of people who don’t have access to the right kind of play equipment for their children’s learning and enjoyment needs.
The closest SEN park in Kingstone Seymour is 13 miles away, which is a 25-minute car journey.
Some of the comments we have had from the survey:
- My kids love coming to this park but definitely need more things here, will be very welcomed by our community.
- This would make a huge difference to local children. At present the only accessible park is a long drive away which isn’t always practical. It is important for all children to have exercise in a fun way but children with additional needs, some of can’t manage physically or emotionally to play team games such as football or tennis have few safe fun places to help them to improve their mobility and self confidence.
- We miss the equipment that has been broken and disappeared. We want a playground that is usable for all children.
- As a teacher of SEND children in the local area I think this would be a massively valuable resource. Currently we travel to Kingston Seymour for the children to experience play facilities safely and obviously this takes a large amount of preparation so we go very rarely. A local resource area we could use frequently, and walk to, would be of great importance and hugely beneficial to our children.
- Having Sen and regular equipment alongside each other is great especially for mixed ability families. Anything wheelchair accessible is really appreciated particularly for older children who cannot easily be lifted. Thank you so much for investigating some inclusive options.
- I attend an additional needs park past Yatton. It is hard for me to get to as a bit far to travel but my daughter loves it and so do I as I can relax without being judged by people.
- My son likes spend time outdoor, SEN play area is very good idea.
- This would be so beneficial for my wheelchair bound daughter we never get to go to the park and use the equipment it would be lovely to have this opportunity so she can be involved in a normal part of child play
- We really really need this in our community.
Weston Town Council has been moved to say the least and is committed to providing this provision. To maximise the opportunity and not create a park in half measures we are looking at creating a partnership with businesses and groups who will support this vision. We would like to create a flagship park in our area that would be an example for places across the UK. Join the newsletter, make sure you tick the box for SEN Castle batch at the bottom: