This meeting is open to all members of the community who have an interest in trees in our local area.
We now have a number of projects that are being actioned or need some support (see below):
- Street Tree Planting – planting scheme in collaboration between NSC & WSMTC.
- Tree Planting in W-s-M Town Council’s public open spaces and allotments – application to the Forest of Avon or Woodland Trust for funding to be completed.
- We are creating a community tree nursery at Maltlands – Emily Burnell to lead.
- Planting Mayor’s Tree – during the Great Big Green Week on September 27th at 11.00.
- Planting Hildesheim Tree – to be planted at twin town visit.
- Creating Parklets in Weston – Debbie Aptead to lead?
- WSMTC Tree Canopy Fund – Proposal to CCWG 15/09/22.
- Room For Trees – project to encourage hotels to add tree planting donations to room costs and be paid into the Tree Canopy Fund.
- WSMTC Funding Tree Planting in private gardens through voucher scheme – discussion to take place with Town Clerk.
- Planting a tree for each school child in Weston – to be researched.
- Seed Collecting Event – to be organised.
- Log all of our tree planting on the Queen’s Green Canopy website – https://queensgreencanopy.org/map-education-hub/qgc-map/#/
It would be great if we could focus our attention and action to get these projects organised and completed over the next few months and into the planting season to ensure that our aim of planting more trees to mitigate the climate crisis and to improve Weston’s environment makes a good start.
Please note that the next meeting will now be an in-person event.
Next meeting: Wednesday, September 21st 19.00 at Weston Museum. The cafe will be open.
This will be in a large open, but enclosed, space with level access from the street.
Congratulations, too, to Andy Chappell who has just taken on the role of Weston Town Council’s Climate Change Officer. He will be joining us for our next meeting and will be helping us move some of our projects forward – please welcome him and I’m sure you will have lots of ideas for him.
If you would like to join the Weston Tree and Planting Group please join the mailing list to find out about meetings and events https://mailchi.mp/62dc45612bfc/weston-tree-group.